Ms. Renee Thomas is the Programme Director of the Bachelor of International and Sustainable Business at UWI-ALJGSB, she has over 15 years’ marketing and sales experience in the banking, distribution, media and education industries. As Programme Director for the Bachelor of International & Sustainable Business, she works closely with faculty and other key stakeholders to create a positive learning environment for students while maintaining the Business School’s quality standards through the design, delivery, and evaluation of the programme. Ms Thomas outlines below the value the undergraduate programme provides to students and some advice to persons that are uncertain on their next step!
The BISB programme aims to prepare students with the foundation required for launching and leading successful businesses as well as the development and running of businesses or business units with directions towards innovation, international expansion, sustainability and growth.
- Focus on the problems and challenges of business and society, while seeking to address unmet needs
- Understand the evolving world of business
- Develop the skillsets to operate with self-confidence as entrepreneurs and intrapreneurs
- Launch and grow new businesses or ensure the sustainability of existing corporations through the creation of innovative add-on products and services
Why should someone do this programme?
- The programme prepares you to become an entrepreneur (someone that starts a business at taking on financial risks in hope of making a profit) or an intrapreneur (employee who develops innovative ideas, products or projects within a company)
- Practical learning environment. Classrooms are a mix of traditional learning (students listen while lecturers teach) and authentic learning (guest speakers, games, case study discussions, debates, group projects and presentations and simulations)
- Learning approach was designed to help students:
- Develop a global, entrepreneurial and sustainable mindset.
- Become critical thinkers, social activist, leaders, problem solvers
- Lecturers are a mix of academic and industry specialists
- Business Spanish is delivered every semester to prepare students for international business opportunities in non-English territories
- The specialisations (Technology & Operations Management, Strategy & Project Execution and Disruptive Innovation & Entrepreneurship) are designed to help students develop the capacity to innovate along the value chain in their own business or an existing organisation
- Socially responsive projects that are executed as part of the core curriculum (for e.g. for your Self Awareness & Leadership course you will be identified/develop a community-based project and work on it for the duration of the course)
- The Capstone project integrates all the learnings of the programme. Students are required to solve a challenge or undertake an intervention in a sustainable manner for an existing organisation
- Access to the University of the West Indies facilities (library, gym, swimming pool, tennis court, clubs, social activities centre)
My advice to persons who are unsure about your next step upon completion of CSEC or CAPE
“If you find yourself uncertain about the area of business you want to study or the type of career you want to pursue, then the BISB programme is definitely for you! This programme was designed to allow students to dream big, find their passion, purpose and voice. You practice as you learn, giving you the ability to prepare yourself for the world of work. You gain basic business management knowledge while focusing on how to lead, launch, innovate and sustain your own business or a multinational company.”
Sign up now, and let us help you make your University experience one you will never forget!
For further information, speak with the academic advisor Ms. Kersha Garner at 645-6700 ext. 200 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org